As it turned out, my glucose tolerance numbers came back a little high- 144 when the cutoff is 139, so I had to go in at 9am on Monday, October 3rd for a glucose endurance test. This joyful tests consists of fasting from midnight the night before until your appointment (so it really needs to be done in the morning) immediately having your blood drawn, then drinking a potion similar to the first orange one (but this one was red and had twice as much glucose in it), then having my blood drawn every hour for three hours after that. Luckily, I had made the appointment on a day when we didn't have school, otherwise I would've had to take at least a half day, maybe even a full day off work. Jake was super sweet and told me he'd go with me, so he sat with me for 3 1/2 hours while we waited for each blood draw. We read an article we were supposed to read for our birth class, Jake walked to the Walgreens next door to "scope the place out" so he'd know what was available when I'm actually in labor (tee hee), and I played around on the internet. All in all the time passed pretty quickly.
I called yesterday afternoon to see if my results were in. A man answered (no idea who that could be) and I gave him my name and said I was calling to see if my glucose testing results were in. He said The Flighty One was on the phone, so I patiently waited. When she got off the phone I heard The Flighty One say "is someone on the phone?" The man replied "Someone calling about their glucose test results, I didn't catch her name" The Flighty One then got on the phone and said "Who am I speaking with?" I said "Rachel Vaught" and she said "Oh, I think you failed, girlfriend. I don't have your chart, Betty's got it and she's gonna call you at the end of the day if that's okay, but yeah I think you failed but not by much." "Um, okay, thanks." I replied.
Betty did call about 30 mins later and said my results were normal. Of the four blood draws one was 4 points over, but the rest were under and you have to have two or more over to be considered GD. Whew! Stupid blonde dingbat at the front....
No comments:
Post a Comment