At 2:03am I heard Miles crying. Well, not crying exactly, more like complaining/calling for me. I got up, went to the freezer, and got out a cold teether. I tiptoed into the baby's room where he was already standing up, holding onto the railing waiting for me. As I got closer to the crib, his little hands left the rail and reached for me instead. I picked him up, handed him the teether, and he immediately put it in his mouth and laid his little head on my shoulder. We sat and rocked like that for a while, until his little hands stopped feeling the crocheted blanket, my sleeve, my hair, and just rested at his side.
I woke up this morning at 7am when my alarm went off, telling me it was time to feed the baby. I hazily drug myself out of bed, down the short hall to the baby's room, and crept in expecting to see him standing and waiting for me. My sweet boy was laying against the side of his bed, eyes closed, talking to himself and stroking the sheets. Whether he was trying to convince himself to get up or to go back to sleep I'll never know. I whispered "good morning!" and his eyes popped open in surprise, but as soon as he focused and saw that it was Mama, he grinned ear to ear and couldn't get up fast enough.
I usually take Miles back to my bed for the first feeding in the morning, typically because I'm just not ready to wholeheartedly face the day yet and need some lounge time to allow myself to fully wake up. Today was no different. He finished nursing on one side, then pulled his head up and crawled onto my belly. He lay there, tummy to tummy with me, for a few minutes talking and smiling and spying his sleeping Daddy. Then he spit up all over my chest and down my neck.
This is my life, lately. So full of ups and downs I can hardly keep my bearings. I can feel his first birthday coming, peering over my shoulder at what I'm watching him discover, reminding me that I won't have these moments much longer, threatening to take my baby's babydom away. It makes me think of Mary.
Luke 2:19- But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart.
My study Bible says that the references to Mary treasuring and pondering suggest that she may have been a source for the writings of Luke. I am relieved to have a blog to tell my memories to, a blog that will help me remember someday when he's fourteen and stinky and sleeps in his messy room until two in the afternoon that he used to pat my chest with one hand while he nursed. He used to call for his Daddy down the hall when he couldn't see him. That after he'd heard me yell "I love you!" to Jake as he left he'd yell "Ba!" at the door. These are the things I want to treasure up and ponder in my heart.
Sweet. You are so blessed!
ReplyDeleteHow wonderfully precious!
ReplyDeleteLoved this post, Goose. Glad you're treasuring these moments away. We'll slobber and snuffle all over each other in a few years remembering them. Looking forward to doing that with YOU.
ReplyDeleteHow I love reading these blogs. They bring back so many treasured memories from when you (and Curtis) were babies. Thank you for sharing them.
ReplyDelete