Friday, April 8, 2011

Geese

Tuesday evening was "goose night"!

*A little history- years and years ago my best friend Megan and I were watching "Anne of Avonlea". At one point one character turns to another (we can't agree on which ones) and says "You old gooseberry." We thought that was so funny that we started saying it to each other now and then. Over twelve years is have evolved to goose and somewhere in there became more of a term of endearment than anything.*

I had everything all planned out- I had gone to the grocery store and bought every kind of macaroni and cheese that I could find.

*More history- back when we were in middle school having sleepovers and what not, Meg and I used to dream about what our lives would be like as adults. We'd play a game we called "I can see" where we'd take turns saying what we envisioned happening to the other one in the distant distant future. We'd say things like "I can see your husband coming home from work and you being completely unprepared and bursting into tears!" (We'd merge characteristics of each other as seventh graders with what we imagined married life to be. It was all very realistic...) Well, one particular scenario we giggled about involved one of us being pregnant and inviting the other one and her husband over for dinner, only we didn't make an impressive, Julia Child type feast. We made macaroni and cheese. (In our young minds this was a completely implausible scenario, after all adults didn't eat macaroni and cheese! Good wives cooked grand feasts!) We joked that this would be our secret message to the other that we were pregnant and our husbands would have to make sense of the cacophony that ensued.*

So, I had gone to Kroger and bought every kind of macaroni and cheese I could find- shells and cheese, easy mac, kids funny shaped pasta macaroni, white cheddar, and Kraft "homestyle". I lined them all up on the counter next to the stove and when Meg came in I said "I'm starving!" She said she was too and followed me to the kitchen. I said "Okay, we're having macaroni and cheese for dinner," and pointed to all of the different kinds. "Which one should we make? I think we should make all of them." She looked at me suspiciously and said "Why... Are you???" I smiled and nodded and we both squealed and hugged and cried. I love my Goosie :)

We spent the rest of the evening talking about, what else? Pregnancy! I caught her up on everything that had happened since the day before, shared my fears and anxieties, discussed work possibilities and staying home, Baby's due date, EVERYTHING we could think of. We talked so much I completely forgot that I was gonna make cookies for a meeting I had at school the next day! All in all, very good evening. It's great to have someone to share with.


No comments:

Post a Comment